Feb 15, 2012

How my tablet and Dragon Dictation helped me stop procrastinating and write those interims already...

After sharing my experience with Dragon Dictation and interims with Dina recently, she invited me to blog about it.  I found the app to be very helpful but recognize that everyone works differently. If your biggest stumbling block with writing interims or comments is facing the dreaded BLANK PAGE, or you find yourself procrastinating up until the last few days, this may help:



I found that on the friday evening before interims were due, I had a pile of student work in front of me and lots of things to say about my students' progress, but kept struggling to sit down and just write. So I decided to give a dictation app a try. I had seen Jim Jordan use Dragon Dictation with some success, so I downloaded it and tried recording my thoughts. I figured out pretty quickly that I'd need to speak pretty slowly, and that felt awkward at first. But after a few paragraphs I had relatively few typos or misspellings. All you do is open the app, start recording, and once you're done you can copy and paste the text into a word processing program (I used Pages on my iPad).

The big bonus was that after a couple of hours of relatively stress-free work (just having a chat with your iPad really doesn't feel like hard work), I had a (VERY ROUGH) rough draft for most of my students. There was a lot of editing that needed to be done, but I'd gotten past my own worst hurdle, that first draft. Even substantial editing seemed easy to do, since mentally I was over that anxiety-inducing first step.

Drawbacks:
1. If you do this in public you may feel some concerned stares. You'll be talking to your tablet, and talking to it as though it's a non-native English speaker... Oh and you're a robot.
2. as far as I can tell dragon dictation has no understanding of punctuation pauses make no difference there's no capitalization at the beginning of a sentence you'll want to skim through the text soon after recording to make sure you can make sense of it
3. The software has some trouble with proper nouns, "Kate" and "Steve" were recognized. But it tried to translate "Aurelio" into "I really own". Easy enough to fix unless you have lots of students with similar and unusual names... and don't check your text as mentioned in drawback #2
4. Typos do occur, most will show up as such in pages so you can find them and fix them quickly. Some make it through not as a misspelling but just as the wrong word. For example, I commented on some of my students' reflections about the process of hydraulic fracturing for natural gas, or "fracking" for short. I let you imagine what came up instead of "excellent job on your fracking paper...."