Feb 13, 2012

Review of "20 Free iPad Apps Educators Can't Live Without!"

Some of you have asked me about this list, which is a free ebook from the people at simplek12.com. Below is my take on the apps.


Good tools I would recommend from this list:
3. Educreations -- allows you to record a lesson. It's good, except that it does not import/export from/to dropbox. See my post on this type of tool: recording-lesson-on-your-ipad.
4. Google Search -- yes. If fact, this app gives you access to all Google Apps (mail, calendar, docs, etc), in addition to search
6. Quick Graph -- graphic calculator. 
18. Kindle -- book reader from Amazon.
22. Dragon Dictation -- current best speech recognition technology; works well for some.


These tools I do not know, but I prefer having ideas and task list in the same place as my other information. For me, that place is either Google Docs or Evernote.
8. Lino -- brainstorming
21. Wunderlist -- task list

These apps are content, rather than tools: 
2. TED talks -- awesome, on iPad, on your computer, anywhere.
9. NASA app -- looks neat; I have not played with it.
11. History pin -- awesome.
13. Science360  -- looks neat; I have not played with it.
17. Free Books -- good collection of free books. There are many others.

These seem to be geared at earlier grades:
5. Math Quizzer
7. Today in History Lite
10. Puppet Pals
12. Project Noah
14. Toontastic
15. Red Stamp
19. Era of Dino Lite

No knowledge or opinion:
16. Virtuoso Piano
19. Flashcardlet
23. How Stuff Works


Incidentally, the site (simplek12.com) contains good info and the associated blog is worth reading.